[ydl-gen] PS3 Linux and Controller

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Oct 20 16:02:23 MDT 2006

Hi Chris:

You should be able to compile any source abiding by GPL or other open
source licenses on the PS3 with YDL 5 as long as that software is not
specifically written exclusively to be run on Intel and Intel compatible
systems.  The variety of licenses and their specific limitations are
listed here:

http://www.opensource.org/

There is a way around that however.  There happens to exist something
called QEMU which is open source processor emulator which can emulate
x86_64, Sparc and more.  It should be a rip roaring essential tool
within YDL 5 on the PS3.  The idea QEMU would work is that you could
theoretically run open source Linux apps intended for Intel within the
x86_64 environment running within QEMU, likewise run Sparc applications
within the Sparc environment running within QEMU and so on.

You will need to construct the processor environment according to the
available instructions within QEMU.  The power of the PS3 using YDL 5
allows possibilities unheard of without great expense.

Regarding your other question, there is a recent posting at the TSS site
addressing PS3 games development.  In my view the short answer to this
later question is No.  Here's my analysis:

1.  Sony provides a proprietary PS3 GameOS.  As it is proprietary, it is
not open source.

2.  The variety of games written for PS2 and earlier systems will also
run on PS3.  They are commercial products, also not open source.

3.  Here is a quote: "...all versions of Yellow Dog Linux are
distributed under the GPL..."

Conclusion: As the PS3 GameOS and games written for it are commercial
and proprietary, they cannot be used under the GPL.  Ergo, in my view,
the environments are mutually exclusive as far as I currently comprehend
what has been published.

You can read the available posted FAQs here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/faq/ps3-general.shtml

Good Luck...