[ydl-gen] YDL on PB17

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Oct 30 00:08:57 MST 2006

I have a few YDL questions -  perhaps this should have been sent to
the new users list; if this list is inappropriate, my apologies.

I am attempting to install YDL 4.1 on an external Firewire drive
attached to a 1.5 GHz Powerbook 17" laptop. It seemed to install
successfully and launched into the KDE display manager. I noticed
first that the graphics were painfully slow - when running the web
browser (Firefox, I believe) there were many video artifacts when one
moved the browser window indicating very very slow refresh. First
question is how do I ensure that I have accelerated video?

Next, when playing with the display configuration, I managed to set
an excessive refresh rate so I now get gibberish on the screen. Is
there a simple way to reset the graphics? (through xconfig or
something like this using a terminal?).

Finally, can one recommend a development system for making
multiwindow apps using OpenGL? I have been doing this for a number of
years using Project Builder and now Xcode in OSX and have had
reasonable success. For a number of uninteresting reasons, I am in
the process of abandoning the Apple platform due to the switch to
Intel, an architecture I have no interest in. (Also, in my opinion,
Xcode is getting worse with each new version and the vaunted Cocoa
developing environment is getting less and less attractive). My
ultimate goal is playing with the Cell on a PS3 (I have many
scientific programs which should benefit from the extreme parallelism
- I already get a 4x increase  in speed using altivec in an optical
raytracer and anticipate more from the Cell).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Warren Nagourney