[ydl-gen] Sending mail from the command line

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:35:49 MDT 2006

Hello all, I've been trying to figure out how to send an e-mail using
a tcsh script. I've created a script to monitor my server's IP and
update the DNS server when it changes (I'm on dynamic IP).

I want to send myself an e-mail whenever it has to update the DNS
server (at present it sends root an e-mail but I don't check my root
e-mail that frequently).

I've been trying to use mail to send an e-mail but cannot automate the process:

mail -s My\ subject my.email at nowhere.com

At first I tried piping a file into the command but haven't got that
to work (composing the e-mail requires one to press ^D to terminate
the e-mail followed by an enter to accept no cc:).

Any ideas? Is there another mechanism I should be using to email stuff
automagically? Is there an interface to send mail I should be using?

Thanks, Eric.