[ydl-gen] [YDL5] Install DVD won't boot (bad media?) and related questions - corrected

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Sun Apr 15 11:50:31 MDT 2007

Derick,

> As to downloading and compiling md5sum or other commands which Apple
> removed, this can become a losing battle as with every Apple update
> the  range of changes they make to Darwin and OS X continues according
> to their whim.  Since they are essentially listening to no one and
> making choices according to their view of what users want -- I
> don't see
> a resolution other than to abandon OS X as a reliable testing
> platform.

* John sits down and tries to do something on his various machines *

Yikes, I just tried running emacs on both my Gentoo and Debian boxes,
and found that it wasn't there.  While a quick emerge / apt-get fixed
it (and i'm more of a vi person anyway), this concerns me and makes
me think that I should perhaps abandon Linux as a reliable
development platform.

Oh my, I just tried to write a Perl script on my OSX, Gentoo, Debian
and Windows boxes that used a module that wasn't installed.  While a
quick install via CPAN / ppm fixed it, it really makes me think that
I should perhaps abandon Perl as a scripting tool, and OSX, Gentoo,
Debian and Windows as reliable scripting platforms.

Uh oh, this is troubling -- I just tried to write some C++ code that
talked to a web service via gSOAP, and found that gSOAP wasn't
installed on my OSX, Gentoo, Debian _or_ Windows boxes.  While I was
able to download and install it on all of the above platforms, this
has me quite concerned and makes me think that perhaps I should
abandon C++ as a reliable development tool, and OSX, Gentoo, Debian
and Windows as reliable development platforms for networked
applications.

Wow, I guess i'm out of a job ... as no matter which language / tool
I choose, it's not installed by default on every other OS I could
ever imagine coding for.  Downloading, compiling and installing the
tool fixes the problem, but I can't be bothered to do that -- it
should just _be_ there.

Regards,

John, not trying to offend, only trying to point out that your
argument doesn't scale

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com