[ydl-gen] Petition to open RSX for "other OS"

Mark Krueger mk500 at cthub.com
Fri Apr 27 13:30:16 MDT 2007

Brian,

Sorry to go OT, but you peaked my interest. I've been trying to figure
out what to do with my YDL installation on my PS3. I'm also a big MythTV
user, with lots of HD content, and would LOVE a fast transcoder box.

Can you give more specifics of how you are transcoding at such fast
speeds (significantly faster than FX60 sounds FAST!)? What program are
you using? Would you give example command line? Is there a
cell-optimized mencoder or something?

If you have time to start a topic on your experiences, I'm sure a lot of
folks might be interested.

Many thanks,

-Mark

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>

>> So far the only official communication that we have is on a
>> Terrasoft interview
>> on the GDC earlier this year.
>>
>> Me personally I will only invest money on the PS3 IF the RSX gets some
>> form of support. Otherwise I'll just stick with the PS2 Linux and
>> eventually
>> move to XNA.
>>
>> Sorry but I don't buy into the PS3 Linux better than PS2 Linux
>> thing. The
>> distribution is more up to date, true. However the PS2 version
>> supports the
>> hardware a way lot better (not 100% but better than the PS3 case).
>>

> I guess everyone has different priorities. I was looking for a Blu-
> Ray player. The cheapest one I could find was the 20GB PS3, and I got
> a great Linux box thrown in as well.
>
> Even with only frame-buffer type video support the machine is fast
> enough to push HD video to my 32" LCD via HDMI, so why would I need
> anything faster? I don't want to play games or do fancy video effects.
>
> I'm looking primarily to transcode MPEG2 files created by my Myth
> system to various other codecs, and I don't need video output from
> the PS3 to do that, I simply ssh into the PS3 and tell it what to do
> with a command line. Even at this early point it is faster at
> transcoding than my dual-core AMD FX60, by a significant factor.
>
> If better graphics support comes along I'll certainly be happy, but
> for the money I just don't see any better deals out there for what I
> want. Sony is subsidizing me in the hope I will buy games, which I
> won't, it's not often you get the better end of a deal with a multi-
> billion-dollar corporation.
>
> The only real potential problem to my mind is the power consumption/
> heat output, but I can deal with that.
>
> The only other problem is keeping my teenage nephews away, they seem
> to think the machine was made to play video games or something.
>
> I have machines with accelerated video, until now what I didn't have
> was a cel engine to play with or a BR player :-)
>
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

Mark Krueger
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog