[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0.2 doesn't start installer on iBook A1005 (should be G3)

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 1 09:45:43 MDT 2007

Zhang,

> I didn't follow exactly the manual (sorry) but I did the partitioning in
> the way I used to install Linux on x86. This is what I did:
>
>      1. Start Disk Utility (by booting from Mac OS Install CD), enter
>         harddisk partition dialog.
>      2. Select 2 for number of partitions, drag the handler to make a
>         1:1 devision on the harddisk;
>      3. For the first part of the harddisk, I left "partition
>         type" (translated back to English) the default. The second part
>         of the harddisk "partition type" I selected "Free
>         Space" (translated back to English).
>      4. Tell Mac OS X to install on the first partition of the harddisk.
>         Go on the installation. Resulted Mac OS X installaion can only
>         access half of the full size of the harddisk.

The only reason we recommend that you place OSX on the 2nd half of your drive
is so that if you accidentally "zap the PRAM", firmware (BIOS) will scan the
drive top to bottom and find the YDL bootloader before it finds the OSX boot
partition, thereby giving you an option to select Linux or OSX instead of
booting directly in to OSX without a Linux option.

Otherwise, your installation of YDL on the 2nd half will work fine.

Using the default, automatic partitioning option in YDL is the simplest method
with the least confusion.

kai