[ydl-gen] Accelerated Xorg

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Dec 13 09:27:36 MST 2007

Many of you are probably aware that some very bright people who
inhabit the ps2dev forums have found a way to (legally) "hack" the
PS3 graphics processor (RSX) and accelerate both 2D and 3D
operations.  The 3D stuff has gotten a fair amount of publicity
lately, though it is not that interesting to me since I have no
intention of writing games in linux.

The 2D hack, on the other hand, is very interesting since it provides
an accelerated Xorg which makes one's day to day use of the ps3 a
much more enjoyable experience. I have installed the accelerated Xorg
and I can say that the difference is night and day. All of the
redrawing artifacts I formerly observed when moving windows are now
gone as are the delays when one clicks on a background window. The
ps3 feels like a "modern" computer now, rather than some sluggish
first generation windowing system from the 80's.

Although I have been a loyal YDL customer, I needed to use Ubuntu
since the hacks required a more recent Xorg and glibc than is
currently available in YDL. However, the ps2dev hackers have very
recently remedied this lack and have provided a patch to allow one to
use a kernel which supports the 3D optimizations in YDL 5.01. The
diuscussion is here

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9473

I am not sure whether this allows one to use the accelerated Xorg,
but that can't be far away. One can probably do it now by installing
a more recent glibc and Xorg, though the soon-to-be-released newer
YDL 6 should provider all of the necessary tools.

One thing left out in the ps2dev instructions is the necessity of
running xcompmgr (with no arguments) to eliminate the redraw
artifacts. This should run in the background, as X will be stopped if
one kills xcompmgr or pauses it.

Good luck.