[ydl-gen] help with installing mplayer on ydl 5.0 ps3 version

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 06:28:45 MST 2007

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:34:07 +0000 "james keys" <jame3142 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >From: David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
> >
> >On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:52:13 +0000 "james keys"
> ><jame3142 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > i need instructions on how to install the movie player for linux
> > > 5.0 (yellow dog ) for the playstation 3 . all help is welcome and
> > > thankyou .
> >
> >I should be able to supply some instructions later today.
>
> ok thankyou

Sorry for taking so long, I just got my PS3 today and I have been having
too much fun with it.  B-)

There is much tweaking and testing yet to do, but I have a basic mplayer
install that works for YDL 5.0 on PS3.  This is the second thing I did
on YDL when I got my PS3 earlier today.  The first thing is
unimportant for getting mplayer to work.  So this should work on a
fresh, standard YDL install.

First of all you need the SVN version of the mplayer source code, the
current release (1.0rc1) has issues, including a known security
problem and sound problems.  Apparently 1.0rc2 is due out soon, that
might be worth a shot.

svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
cd mplayer
./configure --enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-menu \
--enable-dynamic-plugins && make && sudo make install

Then follow the mplayer instructions for installing fonts, skins, and
binary codecs.  You will need the PPC version of the codecs collection,
but it doesn't have anywhere near the number of codecs as the x86
version.  On the other hand, most of the missing codecs are for obscure
formats.

I should be working on getting mplayer, vlc, xine, etc to work as well
as possible on the PS3 in the near future.