[ydl-gen] Video Monitors--2

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Tue Jan 9 14:05:37 MST 2007

On  9 Jan 2007, onefang at gmail.com wrote:

> You are correct about the PS3's hypervisor, it controls all access to
> the hardware, except USB which seems to go direct.  I have no clue
> about the Xbox 360.
>
> The hypervisor only allows access to a framebuffer, and even then it's
> not direct access.  The linux side writes to a frame buffer in main
> memory, then uses the hypervisor to trigger a DMA transfer that copies
> this to the real frame buffer on the GPU.

OK, but has there been a definite "no, forget direct video and 2D
acceleration" statement from Sony/nVidia/YDL?  It seems like this is
the current state of affairs, but not necessarily the end of the
story.

> It should be possible for applications to use the SPE's to accelerate
> rendering to this internal frame buffer, but that will likely have to
> be done one app at a time.  This could probably be done for both 2D and
> 3D.  An SPE port of the OpenGL software renderer could do good things
> for 3D apps for instance.

As clever as this is, it's kind of silly to go that route considering
the graphics device is right there on the motherboard.  If I could
pick one program to get that acceleration, though, it would be mplayer :)

Ted