[ydl-gen] Video Monitors--2

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Tue Jan 9 20:56:29 MST 2007

I have decided on a somewhat different approach from all of the ones
discussed here. Since my chief motivation for using the PS3 is to do
Cell development, I decided that I would attach an absolutely minimum
monitor to the PS3 (for system management) and do everything using
Xwindows or ssh from another computer. I have a sense that the PS3
doesn't deserve an expensive or sophisticated video solution until
some reasonable fraction of the GPU power is made available to linux
users. I attached a surplus 30-year old BW monitor (worth about $5)
to the composite video port and made ydltextmode the default. It
works fine - with all the flicker of a interlaced BW monitor it is
actually easier on the eyes than a scaled LCD display - and the
abysmal graphics speed is not a problem (it scrolls very fast!).

I will keep attuned to the ps3-video developments with great
interest. I am glad this list has recently become very active -
perhaps some combination of TSS and Sony might chose to improve the
graphics situation if they sense reasonable interest in the community.

-wn