[ydl-gen] Video Monitors--2

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Wed Jan 10 10:40:42 MST 2007

Ted,

>> It's not silly if you want what a hypervisor gives you, and it is a
>> very secure way to design a system.
>
> I mean it's silly to write code that does video acceleration on the
> main processor if a powerful GPU is potentially available, so we
> should first ensure that Sony will not release even 2D-accelerated
> video drivers before spending time and effort on the alternatives.
> That time and effort are not wasted--hacking the Cell to do video
> acceleration is a cool project--I just hope it doesn't end up being
> the only option.

I don't know anything specific about PS3 internals, i'm guessing
along with everyone else.  I do know that it implements a hypervisor,
that code runs under it and generally doesn't access hardware
directly, and I do know that the XBox 360 does it similarly (the
Microsoft XNA environment doesn't allow you to write code that is not
managed by the hypervisor, iirc).  If Sony releases a way for
"homebrew" developers to write code that runs under GameOS, it would
be interesting to see how they do video (since they'll also likely
run under the hypervisor).

I snarfed my PS3 mainly as a relatively inexpensive way to explore
the Cell SDK (and I can do this via ssh), but it would be nice to be
able to have nice, fast video when running Linux, so I wouldn't have
to reboot into GameOS just to play a movie :-)

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com