[ydl-gen] Cell SDK 2.0 on the PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:40:08 MST 2007

I successfully installed the Cell SDK 2.0 (minus the simulator) on my
PS3. For anyone interested, here are my approximate steps:

(1) Download the SDK iso from the IBM website and burn it on a CD
(one can leave it on the HD and use a different mount command).

(2) Create the directory /mnt/cellsdk (mkdir /mnt/cellsdk)

(3) Mount the CD (mount cdrom /mnt/cellsdk) -might need some flags

(4) cd /mnt/cellsdk/software

(5) ./cellsdk install --nosim --nokernel         This installs
without the simulator or kernel. The simulator requires downloading a
400+ meg file from Barcelona, which proved to be a hit or miss
operation before I gave up. I'm not sure the PS3 linux has enough
graphics capability for it anyway. The kernel is a later version from
the one from YDL and I decided to not risk it.

(6) At some point, it might complain about a missing rpm. In my case,
the culprit was tk-8.4 which I installed using:    yum install netpbm-
devel tk-8.4.*

(7) The install should proceed without much complaint from there. It
includes xlc and xlc++ .

Good luck.

-Warren Nagourney
UW Physics

ps. A decent forum for things related to the Cell and the SDK is at:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?
forum=739&cat=46
(requires free registration)