[ydl-gen] Message retrieval - addendum

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Wed Jan 24 07:23:48 MST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 5:17 AM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Hi Charles:
>
> It is possible to have messages sent to you which aren't bundled
> together.
> The quick way to get this done:
>
> 1. Click upon the link: http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/mailman/
> listinfo/yellowdog-general
> which appears at the bottom of the ydl gen list you receive.
>
> 2.  Select the option to change/edit your subscription and enter the
> email address which you posted with the ydl gen list.
>
> 3.  You'll next see a page asking for your password.  Enter it.
>
> 4.  Last you'll see a section entitled: Your yellowdog-general
> Subscription Options
>       Look for: Set Digest Mode.  Choose Off.
>       When done remember to click upon: Submit My Changes
>       Lastly, remember to Logout!
>
> That's it.

Absolutely correct, but there's another approach as well:

You can "burst" the digest into individual messages after the digest
is received. Obviously only some MUAs can handle this. There are
scripts for Apple Mail that will do this. There is also a standalone
program (called, not surprisingly, "Burst Digest Messages", I think
it used to be called "Burst MIME Digest"). I think this bursts
individual messages into separate tabs or windows in a browser. The
old XMMail program did this, and I think you can do it in some way
with EMACS (is there anything EMACS can't do?). I'm not sure about
more "modern" mail programs as I haven't worked with digests in a
long time. Google for "burst digests" if you're interested in more info.

Handling the threading can be tricky though, and you are probably
better off just setting the list to send you individual messages as
was suggested, but it's always nice to know the more complete answer :-)