[ydl-gen] yum update itself

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Jul 1 06:03:21 MDT 2007

Bonjour bbux:

If you read the link you provided to me carefully there are two
problems with it:

1.  It is not an official recommendation from TSS, which means the
risk for destroying or messing up your system irrevocably is entirely
yours.  The document states this clearly.

2.  YDL 4.1 is no longer supported by TSS and is not available via
YDL.net.  The method listed appears to require access to a YDL.net
account.

Keep in mind, bbux, that just because an unofficial recommendation is
posted on the net does not mean that it will function.

There is another problem: between YDL 3 and YDL 4 there was a leap of
changes and improvements such that they are completely different
releases.  This is equivalent to stating that they are different
aquifers or sources of water.  One higher, broader and further up the
mountain and refreshing; the other -- older (your version) though
decent and acceptable is not competitive.  I assume it is not
competitive as you appear to want to abandon it.  No one thinks of
mixing such different sources of anything.

If your intention is to move up to YDL 4.0 or even YDL 4.1  or
higher, there is a simple (free) way to do this without using the
link you sent me.  The method I recommend is the official process
which TSS officially allows.

TSS, the creators of YDL allow you, as a user to download from any
one of the official and public TSS mirrors local to you the version
of YDL you wish to move up to.  You don't need yum to do this at all.

The process is this:

* access an official TSS mirror next to you (as an example I'll
choose a mirror located in Sweden).
   Click here: http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/

* you are looking for a file ending in .iso which can be burned onto
a CD.
   Select the folder called iso.
* Select the .iso file of your choice to begin download.

You'll notice a variety of files and folders which include:

* MD5SUM
* MD5SUM-HOWTO
* README
* YDL-5.0.1-APPLE-CD-IMAGES

You'll notice that every official release from TSS of YDL is present
on this and other official public mirrors supported by TSS.
A little thinking is required here at this point, please notice that
those .iso files in the M or Megabyte range are for CDs.  Those .iso
files in the G or Gigabyte range are for DVDs.  These files in the
DVD class range are the most recent publicly available version of YDL.

Be sure that you choose the version for APPLE, not PS3, if you want
YDL 5 -- please check here to verify that YDL 5 will work with the
computer you have:  http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/
hardware/breakdown/

For a full listing of official mirrors look here, as well as for
instructions on burning the .iso files onto CDs.
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

Closing:
One of the beautiful things about living in France -- besides the
culture, food, and people -- is that I understand
French citizens have freely available to them Cable or Fiber Optic
(faster than DSL) speeds at their homes.  This means that downloads
of these otherwise large files will take you very little time.
Creating CDs or DVDs from these .isos is not a problem if you follow
the official directions which best applies to you.

Following through with your choice to upgrade to a more current
version of YDL via these officially allowed means will result in a
working fresh install of a completely new version of YDL which
contains a version of yum made for that release.  Please also be
aware that the version of yum for YDL 5 was completely redesigned so
if you do move up to YDL 5 consider reading the HOWTOs posted on the
TSS site regarding their recommendations.

Best of Luck...