[ydl-gen] Terra Soft Unifies Power Ecosystem with YDL v5.0.2:Announcement 14 June 2007

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jun 14 16:24:38 MDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:18:37 -0400 (EDT)
"Dave B. Sharp" <daveb_sharp at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I beleive from a Cell presentation I saw last fall
> that the PS3 runs processors with one defective SPE
> (seconds I guess to cut costs) which is why there are
> not 8 showing up at boot time. I am guessing that only
> an even number SPEs can be activated.
>    Dave

Dear Dave:

I'm sure that all components of the Cell work perfectly.  However, a decision
was made to not allow certain elements of the Cell to be available under
guest OS's, which includes Linux. Debate and discussion continues whether this
will remain the case, but currently the situation remains as is.  Here's one
reference discussing this:

http://multimedia.cx/eggs/category/game-hacking/page/2/

I want to make clear that even with such a limitation or restriction in place
I've read of quite a bit of advanced computer processing and other scientific
research proceeding in spite of this and other limitations.

Of course, not everyone has that level of expertise.  Perhaps events will
change so that such achievements or access to the Cell's full potential won't
remain either restrained or limited.

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.