[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Mar 26 19:49:03 MDT 2007

Hi Julian!

If you look carefully here on this page:

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

You'll see that the Linux which will run Google Earth is restricted to
Linux which runs on Intel and compatible systems.

The Cell and PowerPC systems are not part of that CPU family architecture.

It sadly makes perfect sense that the Cell would outdo anything Intel
and compatibles can do, but Google Earth was designed before the Cell
existed in the market place.
One could ask Google Earth to also support the PowerPC and the Cell or
perhaps just the Cell.  But Google Earth does not appear to be open
source as Linux, Mozilla and many other projects are.

In other words, I'm saying that there is not a great chance that Google
will begin working to support the Cell or the PowerPC -- even if it made
sense to do so -- anytime soon.  You may just have to accept that Google
Earth is not available for the Cell and PowerPC architecture.

Good Luck  ... Derick