[ydl-gen] Google Earth on YDL 5.0

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:42:15 MDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:27:44 -0600 Brian Wood <beww at bresnan.net> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:10 PM, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Also, just for fun, has anyone tried the PS3 folding at home client?
> > Dang fast.  If anyone wants to join, my team number is 59478.
>
> CNN had a story on that, fast as heck but it also draws considerable
> power, on the order of 200 watts. Running that 24/7, especially
> someplace like California or NYC, would start to add up fast.

Compared to my Athlon 3000 which is running over 200 watts, but doing
only about a tenth of the work in it's folding at home client.

A 200 watt power supply is about the minimum you will get in a low end
PC these days, so it's not really "considerable power" for the huge
amount of number crunching you are doing.  That's one of the reasons
Cell processors are attractive for clustering, more bang per watt.

P.S. My Athlon actually has a 400 watt power supply, but it could
probably get away with 300 when all parts of it are running hard.