[ydl-gen] Coding for PS3?

Nou Phabmixay nou.phabmixay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:02:54 MDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Michael Torres <mykal_t45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>   This may seem like a very simple question that
> requires a complex answer, not in the actually words,
> but what it will entail. So, here is my question. If I
> wanted to get involved in learning to code for the
> PS3, which would be for YDL I suppose, what books or
> language would be best to learn? Eventually it would
> be nice to be able to make games for the PS3, but I

Right now the only languages that know the SPUs exist on the Cell is C
and C++. This is the specialized cores on the Cell you use to do all
the grunt work. And the only compilers that has extensions for C or
C++ to use the SPUs are xlc, gcc, g++. xlc is from IBM and the rest is
a part of GNU's GCC.

The Cell processor is also a PowerPC CPU so if you want to learn how
to program first without using the SPUs you can pick any language you
like. But to get any real benefits you want the SPUs especially since
we don't have access to the GPU on the PS3.

YDL ships with one of IBM's SDK that has the compilers and other tools
you can start off with.

As for books, I only know a little C++ but have read the following:
http://rudbek.com/books.html

For game development is a separate list of books I don't have. I don't
like many web tutorials on C++ and have given up.

For more information on the Cell:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/

Happy hacking.