[ydl-gen] Zimbra or Scalix ?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Nov 1 23:39:32 MDT 2007

Hi Niels:

I read what was posted regarding Zimbra and Scalix from each respective
company.  They are both designed for workgroups and currently I'm just one
fellow running YDL 5 from a laptop. In essence, what they both offer is way
beyond my needs.

If I had to make a choice, I'd lean towards trying out Scalix but as I've
already stated I've nothing to really test it out against.  I did notice that
Scalix relies upon Fedora 7; the current release of YDL utilizes Fedora 5.  It
just may be that whatever future release of YDL may be, a workgroup may want to
consider Scalix at that point.

If you are willing to consider how a lone individual may participate as a
newcomer into an established workgroup using these or other collaborative based
systems then I would like to suggest that the program Claws Mail be seriously
considered.

Claws Mail is designed as a very straightforward, no frills email client which
eliminates the excess baggage which comprise many emails today.  Although the
"frills" may be appealing they also require quite a bit of CPU time and often
add nothing pertinent to the actual message anyway.  However, Claws Mail has
plugins, as well as rules processing which can be installed and utilized or
not, as an individual pleases.  Claws Mail is very fast.

Various plugins allow for catching Phishing attacks, using OpenPGP, various
spelling dictionaries, etc.  Claws Mail can function with POP, and IMAP
and via plugins also handle vCalendar messages used by Evolution and Outlook as
well as understand mbox.  Personally, I find it quite neat that I can see
updates from a cron job while I'm reviewing other mail all within Claws Mail.

The version of Claws Mail available with Fedora 5 extras, is not the latest
version, but it certainly contains all the features I've mentioned and more
which I don't use.

It is quite obvious that not all tools are useful under all
conditions.  However, if I had to participate in a workgroup within a few
hours I'm quite confident I could get Claws Mail to meet the peculiar task
which I may not have considered needing until then.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:37:53 +0100
"Niels S. Eliasen" <nse at delfi-konsult.com> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Just wondered if there is anyone who have succeeded in getting either
> Zimbra or Scalix to run on YDL ??
> All the descriptions on the net, are Linux-x86 specific... so before
> I take a dive into the unknown...
> if anyone have any experience to share ?
>
> regards
> niels

 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.