[ydl-gen] Updating YDL 5.0 to 5.0.2 on a PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:02:45 MST 2007

Hello,

I tried to update YDL 5.0 to 5.0.2 on my PS3 using yum and typing (as
root) "yum update". After the system spent about an hour downloading
files (about 500 megs), it failed the transaction test on some
trivial file (YDL-logos or something like that) and the update
aborted. Can someone suggest how I can make the update process work?
Do I need to download the files again, or do they reside somewhere on
the HD?

In another unrelated area, has anyone been able to make the gnash
plugin work in Firefox? The standalone program seems to work, but the
plugin doesn't: I get an endless "loading plugin" (or something like
this) message. I have "libgnash.so" in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, as
required (it was even worse in the /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
directory - it wasn't recognized as a plugin).

Finally, I hear some favorable "rumblings" in ps2dev.org about
successful (and legal) hacks of the RSX. One person has even written
a modified xorg which uses the hardware blitter and supposedly speeds
up window moving, etc. This latter is much desired, as currently the
system is painful on the eyes when moving windows (I wonder whether
they will hack the various timers in the RSX, allowing a larger
variety of monitors to be used?) It is interesting that my greatest
need is 2D acceleration, since my numerous OpenGL 3D apps work very
well without acceleration (this surprised me).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Warren Nagourney