[ydl-gen] Kernel hacking

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 14 20:53:19 MST 2007

For a number of reasons, I have gone into the kernel hacking business
in YDL 5.02 on a PS3 and started by taking the 2.6.23 kernel (from
the most recent CELL linux ADDON iso) and compiling it, following the
instructions in the Cell Performance article on making huge pages. I
made the appropriate changes in the kboot.conf file to reflect the
new kernel and tried to boot. SInce this is my first attempt at
kernel manufacture, I was not surprised that it didn't work: I got an
error message "switchroot: mount failed" and a kernel panic.

I looked at the init file in the initrd image and compared it to the
one in the initrd for a working kernel: they were identical (not
surprising, since the same mkinitrd was probably used for both). Does
anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Warren Nagourney