[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 4 00:35:22 MDT 2007

> I'd install YDL 5.0.2 onto an external FireWire drive, boot that,
> use rsync to copy the FireWire "/" root filesystem to the RAID1
> root file system, update /etc/fstab and /etc/yaboot.conf as necessary
> on the RAID1 root file system, and then hopefully reboot into the
> RAID1 root file system (and re-run "ybin -v" after the reboot to
> make the boot process be properly associated with the internal
> disks rather than the external FireWire drive, but it would be
> good to leave a yaboot entry that allows booting back to the
> FireWire drive should that ever become necessary).

I'm basically comfortable with all of the above except the fixing of
yaboot.conf.  The boot tools haven't got a clue about metadevices,
I think, and I'm wondering how I should proceed with it.

Also wondering about whether the Xserve will boot from either a FireWire
or a USB disk, or internals only.  If it's internal only, the whole
exercise will be pointless.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,