[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 5 05:32:47 MDT 2007

> I'd install YDL 5.0.2 onto an external FireWire drive,

Easier said than done.  YDL 5.0.2 refuses to recognize the external
FireWire drive (a Maxtor 5000DV) as anything it will agree to install
to.  I've tried having the drive connected when I boot the machine
as well as plugging it in afterwards; I've disconnected the internal
IDE hard drives; I've made sure that sbp2 is loaded, that I see the
kernel messages related to plugging in the drive, and I've even hand-
made the b,8,0 /dev entry for sda (which YDL didn't create when it
loaded sbp2 and the drive was present) so I could run pdisk on it.
Everything is working fine as far as the hardware goes.  YDL just
won't play with me.

I suppose I haven't tried hand-loading sd_mod yet...

But this is supposed to be Apple...  Easy to work with and no Linux
nerd tweaking required, right? :-)

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,