[ydl-gen] Using bcm43xx-fwcutter-006 and a error message

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Sep 10 21:34:26 MDT 2007

Hi Quentin!

This process drove me nuts.  However refer back to the directions
posted here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/airport-extreme.shtml

I'll get right to doing this from within YDL as that is the whole point
of this anyway.  So start from the section "Using Linux".  There is a
necessary modification to the instruction Chris posted, but I believe I
need to illustrate the issue for clarity's sake.  I'll implement the
step one as written in the HOW TO, and reveal what is seen via mount;
then I'll invoke the same command sequence with the modification and
show what YDL sees within that same directory.

I can't promise you'll be as forgiving of Chris as I was, but I'm sure
it'll be clearer how it was overlooked.  First the invocation of the
original instructions on my system:

[root at arakus aguila]# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/macosx
[root at arakus aguila]# cd /mnt/macosx
[root at arakus macosx]# ls
Desktop DB  Desktop DF  Finder  ReadMe  System
[root at arakus macosx]#

Now the modification and what YDL 5 sees with it:

[root at arakus aguila]# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/macosx -thfsplus
[root at arakus aguila]# cd /mnt/macosx
[root at arakus macosx]# ls
Applications             Installer Log File     System
Applications (Mac OS 9)  Library                System Folder
automount                mach                   Temporary Items
bin                      mach_kernel            TheVolumeSettingsFolder
Cleanup At Startup       mach.sym               tmp
cores                    mds-crash-state        TTP4 Installer Log
Desktop DB               Network                TTP4 Uninstall Log
Desktop DF               NUDC Installation Log  User Guides And
Information Desktop Folder           opt                    Users
dev                      private                usr
Developer                properties.xml         var
etc                      reader8rdr-en_US       Volumes
gmon.out                 sbin
gpg.docs.english.pkg     sw
[root at arakus macosx]#

Now that is a great deal of difference!  So what happened?  Well the
most recent versions of OS X, unlike earlier versions utilize
Journaling as it's standard format which cannot be changed.  Earlier
versions of OS X allowed one to switch between Journaling and
non-Journaling modes.  The non-Journaling mode was implemented by Mac
OS Classic and early versions of OS X.  What YDL saw first above, was
the non-Journaling mode, and so YDL couldn't see or access the rest
of the disk as the entire OS X drive uses Journaling!  The Journaling
mode is recognized by YDL as hfsplus. The t flag preceding the h tells
mount to use that particular type to see files. Of course, now that YDL
can "see", it sees ALL the files on OS X which could not be seen
earlier.

I'm not going to guess what was on Chris' mind, but it hit me what the
problem was when I found a HOW TO in a completely different location of
the TSS website about hfsplus which is located here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/hfsplus.shtml

The difficulty here is the same difficulty all families have in one
form or another.  Place a brochure or note or book in one place and a
family member will invariably move it or place it somewhere else.  I
don't know anyone who doesn't pull one's hair out especially when they
are looking for that one essential piece so that we can proceed to our
chosen business.  It's always worse when we are looking for a mistake
or something we think we missed.

But it isn't something you or I missed at all.  The missing key or clue
was placed elsewhere.  All I'm doing is putting the clue back in the
place where it should be so that you can enjoy Airport Extreme as I am
now within YDL 5.

You execute the rest of Chris's instructions exactly as he wrote them.
When all that preparation is completed you'll be finally able to use
this page:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/wireless-tools.shtml

Two more tidbits I can add to this page.

1.  The iwconfig command is capable of processing encrypted wireless
signals if you use the key flag and provide the actual key.  I place it
before the essid.  Refer to:

$man iwconfig

or

$info iwconfig

Works very nicely. I know this because I've encrypted my router's
signals and set Airport Extreme using the key command to decrypt it.

2.  The short-cut to typing the sequence from ifconfig forward (as long
as you at least typed the entire sequence once) is to log in as Chris
recommends but then at # merely press the upward arrow key on your
keyboard.  This invokes the history function of that terminal and if
that history key map is long enough you may never have to type that
sequence again!

Good Luck...

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:46:01 -0600
"Quentin Schindele" <veloquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using a G4 1.2 with a
>
> 0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306
> 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
> According to lspci.  I have followed all the steps in the how to,
> however when I get to the step
> that actually tries to extract the information from the airport
> driver file on the mac mounted drive
> all I get is a error stating " Cannot open input file "
> I have checked the string I am inputting, and all of the variables to
> make them exactly such as was shown
> in the howto and still recieve the error message.  Even trying to
> change permission, and or copy the file to another
> location off the mount.  However I still recieve the message.  I was
> wondering if any one had any ideas on how I could
> successfully extract the information?

========
 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.