[ydl-gen] B&W and drive not recognised!

Dene Stringfellow support at ridgedale.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 00:22:00 MDT 2007

I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem. I am aiming to
install YDL 4.1 on a B&W G3 but have come across an initial hardware
recognition issue on a setup I'm sure I've seen working somewhere else
before.

I have a B&W G3 400MHz PowerMac that I want to use a 36Gb IBM UltraStar
hard drive with using an Advansys 3940U2W SCSI card. I used the latest
Advansys Flash Utility v.1.56 and flashed the SCSI card with the
38C0800_9_boot.bin Mac OS9 boot BIOS successfully on a PowerMac 8600
under OS9.22 and am able to mount, format and boot from the drive
without any problem on that computer.

(I already have another B&W G3 running YDL 5.01 using an Adaptec
PowerDomain SCSI card with an 18Gb IBM DGHS and a 36Gb IBM UltraStar
hard drive without any problems).

However, when I transfer the drive, SCSI card and ribbon cable to the
B&W G3 and boot the machine I can see the SCSI card using the Apple
System Profiler but no drive on the end of it - that's booting from an
Apple MacOS 9.2.1 installer CD! I attached an external firewire drive
and ran FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit v.4.52 and was slightly more successful
in that it was able to see the hard drive attched to the SCSI card but
was not able to mount or format the drive as those options are greyed out!

I have tried flashing card by running the tools from the external
Firewire drive having booted the machine using the Apple MacOS 9.2.1
installer CD, and I have also booted into Open Firmware and reset the
hardware configuration, to no available!

Clearly I am missing something and would be grateful if someone could
point out to me where I am going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Dene