[ydl-gen] PowerBook G4 wireless problems on YDL 6.0

furio ercolessi furio at spin.it
Wed Apr 9 02:54:11 MDT 2008

Hi Derick,

thanks for looking into this problem.

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:04:08PM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:

> There are two methods of extracting the firmware from MacOS X
> [...]

Absolutely no problem with that.  Beware that the file AppleAirPort2
does not exist any more in Leopard.  Perhaps the good one is named now
/Library/Extensions/I080211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPortBrcm4311
but I extracted the drivers from a copy of OSX10.3 I still had around.

> [...]
> So never accept the computer's view on face value in any operating system.
> [...]

Yes, I have grasped this 30 years ago, no problem here either :-)

> The first three instructions under the section: Configure your... under Linux.
> Didn't work.  Being the nut that I am I tried a bit of cheating by merely
> copying ifcfg-eth0 and naming it ifcfg-eth1; that didn't work either.  The
> reason why it didn't work is because the HWADDR variable in ifcfg-eth1 != the
> HWADDR variable in ifcfg-eth0.  Anaconda creates both files with different
> definitions for the hardware location accessed for Ethernet (eth0) and Wireless
> (eth1).

Yes, that is the MAC address and every interface has its own.
So I start to create a new ifcfg-eth1 using system-config-network
(which I believe should be what Anaconda does on a fresh install).
I follow Network Configuration -> new Device Type -> Wireless Connection.
Here I only see "Other Wireless Card" as a possible choice.  If I choose
that, the BCM4306 does not show up in the device list.  I tried
"Airport" but it does not work (I guess that is the Airport of former
powerbooks).  If I follow
Network Configuration -> new Device Type -> Ethernet Connection
then I do see the BCM4306, but the resulting configuration does not
work either.  IN both cases, by "does not work" I mean that the
interface refuses to start with

> #ifconfig eth1 up

Can you tell me what you have in /etc/modprobe.conf ?

Thanks

furio