[ydl-gen] [SOLVED] PowerBook G4 wireless problems on YDL 6.0

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Wed Apr 9 21:33:26 MDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:14:46 +0200
furio ercolessi <furio at spin.it> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:20:18AM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> >
> > [considerations on OSX evolution]
> > [...]
> > For me this made Tiger a "downgrade" and most likely from what you shared,
> > Leopard may be a more profoundly pretty "downgrade" as well.
>
> I essentially agree, the OSX GUI is also getting slower due to
> new stupid bells and whistles.  But I have no choice, I have to follow
> the world. I teach two simulation courses and my laptop has to be
> reasonably aligned with the students' machines.  I also rely heavily
> on MacPorts stuff for the OSX side, for Panther MacPorts/DarwinPorts is
> now in a completely abandoned state, and the maintainers' activity is
> definitely focused on Leopard.
>
> > Thank God for TSS and their focus on function in producing YDL6!
>
> Yes, it's very nice to have a company committed to Linux on PowerPC.
>
> > > [...]  IN both cases, by "does not work" I mean that the
> > > interface refuses to start with

> > > Can you tell me what you have in /etc/modprobe.conf ?
> >
> > I'm not using the interface at all.  My method, a variant of what Chris
> > Murtagh used and demonstrated by-passes the interface entirely.  The
> > challenge in this particular situation is that you are still thinking like
> > an Apple user where the interface is the function or application.
>
> No no no, I was thinking UNlike an Apple user and with "interface"
> I was referring to a "network interface" , the "if" in ifconfig!
> You can by-pass those and still be connected only if you go back to
> Kermit on serial ports :-)
>
> > However, just so I'm not a "stick in the mud" or non-cooperative, here's my
> > modprobe.conf:
> >
> > alias eth0 sungem
> > alias eth1 ssb    <==============
>
> This was useful.
>
> I solved the problem.  ...

Nice!  I'll share our exchange with Chris; you've definitely provided a
different twist in this weird existence.

Interestingly, I did try the newer fwcutter, but it failed probably because I
could discover what you did, that link to the broadcom firmware!  I instead
used the same version of fwcutter which Chris used in his original instructions.
In fact, that version of fwcutter works fine within YDL6 and I've been using it
throughout our communications.  Just so we're clear here; there appear to be
options to go and do what you did or to proceed as I did.

As long as you are up wirelessly, that's the best way to be.  Don't forget to
setup and use the network and Wlan gadgets in e17.  I find them, and others
most useful.

Just a thought... why don't you do your simulations within YDL?  Of course, if
it's video based I understand the challenge, however if it's based on coding or
other work perhaps you can get that done best within YDL6 on the PS3.  If I
were teaching students, I'd certainly consider that path.  A course involving 8
or more core parallel processing involving a PS3 or maybe a cluster of them...
sounds nice to me!

Perhaps I'm brutal, but it's the best way to provide a taste of a real
challenge - something a wee bit beyond the expected and all too common student's
generally accepted capacity.

I've enjoyed our exchange; I'm glad you are up wirelessly.  Do your student's a
favor which will stick with them.  Give them a real challenge to their
intellectual and perceptual skills and concentration -- they'll be better for
it.

All the best...
=====
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.