[ydl-gen] Hardware Browser and external HD

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Dec 8 18:20:59 MST 2008

Hi Kevin:

If you are in ydl open a terminal window and do

$ su -
# parted

Here's what happens within YDL when this is done.  Of course what
follows is output from within my own system:

[root at arakus ~]# parted
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

Model: FUJITSU MHT2080AH (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
1      0.51kB  32.8kB  32.3kB               Apple
2      32.8kB  1081kB  1049kB  hfs          untitled              boot
5      1081kB  106MB   105MB   ext3         untitled
3      134MB   35.7GB  35.6GB  hfs+         Apple_HFS_Untitled_2
4      35.7GB  40.0GB  4300MB  hfs+         eDrive
6      40.0GB  77.9GB  37.9GB  ext3         untitled
7      77.9GB  80.0GB  2089MB  linux-swap   swap                  swap

(parted)

Within parted you can type help for more detailed information.  Rest
assured parted is very thorough with the capacity to reformat nearly
any drive utilizing a variety of formats.  That's a whole different
topic, however for what you are concerned about if parted can see
your drive then theoretically it can be mounted onto the YDL filesystem.

Within email the above columns cannot be kept aligned; within the
terminal they are fine.

The next step is mounting the dev so that it becomes available such
that files can be copied to or removed from it.  This requires two
steps:

A. Create a subdirectory name within /mnt as in:

#mkdir /mnt/somename

B.  Now that somename exists as a subirectory within /mnt now we can
mount the directory in question and copy all its files into it by
doing this:

#mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/somename

Obviously parted and YDL in general can recognize hfs and hfs+
systems by default however  there are additional filesystems which
YDL can see and they can be mounted as well. Do man parted, as in:

#man parted

for more information.  The above would work in any Linux/Unix
environment with minor changes; it's a good strategy to keep in one's
notes.

Now for the simple stuff.  Within e17 you already know that when you
log in, your home directory appears within the first window.  On my
system the user directory (as I'm the only user) is described
internally as /home/aguila.  The window appears with the heading of
aguila.  Within that solitary window a listing appears of those
folders which e17 sees immediately.  Let's suppose that an external
drive is available, it is on and physically attached via a firewire
or usb port.  A quick way to get it mounted and available within e17
so that you can copy, remove and edit files to that device is to do
the following.

Notice that within that solitary window I mentioned there is a menu.
One of them is called Places.  Open Places and then select Computer.
A new window will open showing a listing of devices which are seen by
YDL.  Double click upon the name of the one you want to mount such
that it is available within e17.  After you do this then a window
displaying the files within that device will appear, that hard drive
is now mounted and you can copy, modify or remove files as you wish.
You can do this within the Desktop environment of e17 or from using
standard Linux commands from within any terminal.

Standard file manipulation commands include cp (copy) and rm
(remove).  refer to

#man cp

or

#man rm

for more details.

Also remember to google for more info regarding rm and cp on the in
various Linux forums should you need more info.

All the best...