[ydl-gen] YDL 5.0.2 issue with /sbin/fsck, /sbin/mount not finding libdevmapper.so.1.02

Andre Skarzynski abs at ydl.net
Mon Feb 11 03:46:10 MST 2008

Hi,

I know that YDL 6.0 is now out, however, I was installing YDL 5.0.2 the other day, on a system were I have decided to use separate disks/partitions for root (/) and /usr. Normally this would not be a problem, however with YDL 5.x it is

After installation, the system boots, however, /sbin/fsck and /sbin/mount fail on start up, and the system drops to single user (disk repair mode). The error one gets is that libdevmapper.so.1.02 is not found. Now this is very worrying, as in my books, /sbin/fsck and /sbin/mount should be static binaries, or at least be able to find their shared libs.

Anyway, I booted into "rescue" mode from the install media, and found the library  libdevmapper.so.1.02 in /usr/lib! I copied the library to /lib and rebooted. Now all is fine.

I looked on a Fedora 8 install I have, and libdevmapper.so.1.02 is in /lib by default.

Why did YDL not place libdevmapper.so.1.02 in /lib were it should be? Especially as fsck and mount are not static binaries, and critical binaries for system start up.

I think this is a serious bug, and if not fixed in YDL 6.0 should be fixed. I am going to have a look at 6.0 as soon as I get a chance.

I know that normal people who install everything in one partition would never have this problem, but from a purists point of view, it needs to be fixed :-) .

Kind Regards,

Andre'

--
André Skarzynski