[ydl-gen] ydl 5.0.2, anaconda doesn't recognize external firewire after hard drive error

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Tue Jan 1 23:30:19 MST 2008

Configuration: Powermac G4 Cube, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, SanDisk eXtreme
Firewire CompactFlash reader (40 MBps sustained R/W), 4GB 266X
CompactFlash card with OS X already installed.

Mac OS X 10.4 has been successfully installed on and run from the
CompactFlash card in this configuration. I want to install YDL on it for
occasional use and avoid disturbing the OS X installation that's on the
internal HD.

When yaboot started up from YDL 5.0.2 CD number 1, I entered:

   install firewire

The installer loaded and brought up the graphical interface. I switched
to a command line with ctrl-alt-F2. The CF card could be mounted
(/dev/sde) and its contents listed. So the OS knew it was there.
Switching back to anaconda and proceeding through the installation steps
resulted in a warning regarding the internal hard drive:

" parted exception: Warning: Device /dev/hda has multiple (0) logical
sectors per physical sector.
GNU Parted supports this EXPERIMENTALLY for some special disk label/file
system combinations, e.g. GPT and ext2/3."

The options are Ignore and Cancel. I tried both on successive
installation attempts. The error occurs a second time. Again, I tried
both options. Answering Cancel both times results in a message saying
that no drive is available for installation. Answering Ignore both times
brings up a screen with partitioning options but listing "hda" as the
only drive available.

The syslog and anaconda.log files are attached as one long text file in
a Zip archive. Both show success in locating the Firewire drive. See
lines 526, 2446 and 2493.

I hope someone can suggest a way to get this configuration to work.