[ydl-gen] Setting Up A DHCP server

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sat Jun 7 08:26:04 MDT 2008

Hi Jake:

You didn't provide enough details regarding what hardware you're using (PS3,
Apple G4 or G5 systems or something else) or which version of YDL you intend
to implement the DHCP with.  Given this lack of information I've taken the
approach to present a link to you which discusses various details of
creating, installing, and other functions necessary to implementing a DHCP
server for Red Hat based systems.

Fortunately, YDL is a variant of Red Hat Linux so the instructions
addressing Red Hat/Fedora should apply to YDL.  The only exception to that
general rule is when certain facilities or tools are available only to Red
Hat/Fedora Linux running on Intel systems which have not been written for
PowerPC systems and a simple recompile of that tool is insufficient to get
that tool operational.

Here's a link for your consideration:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/DHCP-Server.html

Another fact to consider is that YDL6 is different from previous versions of
YDL (also earlier versions of YDL differ from their predecessors).  YDL6 can
utilize tools from CentOS5 Linux; you may wish to research this option
further here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Centos&hl=en&domains=www.terrasoftsolutions.com&sitesearch=www.terrasoftsolutions.com&filter=0

Note that those documents address using CentOS Linux components/packages (of
which YDL 6 is comprised and/or has access to or utilize) with a variety of
particular hardware systems.  So implementing a particular service (such as
DHCP) within a particular hardware environment does matter as a package
unavailable within the Red Hat/Fedora mirrors may be available within CentOS
Linux; I've had no need to explore the details myself, I'm relying upon past
discussions in which others have claimed/observed that this is possible.

All the best...