[ydl-gen] So - is multi-processor support broken?

Sterling Garwood slgarwood at charter.net
Mon Jun 9 19:04:01 MDT 2008

I'll check it when I get a chance ... my guess is that YDL isn't an
SMP kernel ...
the YDL docs don't say one way or the other...
AFAIK there is no SMP kernel in the distro ... there is a 64 bit one ...

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Henry A. Leinhos wrote:

> Sterling,
>
> Which kernel are you running?  I recall that the PPC kernel needs to
> be
> compiled with SMP enabled, and that PPC distros (at least in the
> past) had
> to provide a separate SMP kernel.  What does uname -a  say?
>
> At the boot prompt, hit the <tab> key to see if there is an SMP
> kernel as an
> option.
>
> Regards,
> Henry
>
> Sterling Garwood writes:
>
>> I am using stock YDL 6 .... maybe its a bad assumption on my part
>> since I am basing it on only one penguin at boot time and the cpu
>> monitor only shows time for cpu 0....
>> its the 32 bit standard kernel  from YDL.
>> This is a G4 ... maybe that's the difference (32 bit).
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Rob Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> Sterling,
>>>  Are you using the stock kernel with 2.6, or have you upgraded.  I
>>> hadn't heard about SMP
>>> not working for the PPC, and I've got YDL6 running with 2.6.25
>>> (forget which rc) on my dual
>>> G5 tower.
>>>
>>> Rob

>> general
>> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
>> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with
that?"

Sterling Garwood
slgarwood at charter.net