[ydl-gen] How to have YDL and Leopard coexist

NeoAmsterdam YellowDog at NeoAmsterdam.net
Fri Jun 13 11:38:29 MDT 2008

On 2008/Jun/13, at 08:04, Sterling Garwood wrote:

> A 'Mirrored Drive Door' mac refers to a model of Powermac tower with a
> shiny front bezel. It was available with 1 or 2 processors at speeds
> IIRC from 1.0 to 1.25 GHz. Even Apple refers to them as MDD macs.

> A bit more info-
> the partitions are Apple_UNIX_SVR2 but Leopard still complains via a
> dialog box at boot time about an
> unknown disk partition - could it be the swap partition for YDL???

I don't think so - The swap partition would also be type
``Apple_UNIX_SVR2`` and so you would have seen *two* ``Erase-Eject-
Ignore`` dialogs.

> Is there no one out there who runs YDL 6 and MacOSX in my
> configuration? The Suse people have figured out how to coexist quite
> nicely in this configuration but their release has some other serious
> issues I've hit.

I suspect that the problem is Leopard - or, at least, a poorly-
documented change in the disk management system from X.4 to X.5.

I've been able to put Classic, OS Xs 10.2.8-10.4.11, Darwins 7 & 8,
*and* Yellow Dogs 3.0.1-6 on the same hard disk (on their own
partitions, of course) without any boot or partition problems.  Even
now I have Classic, X.4.11, and YDL 6 purring cooperatively on my
TiBook.  I removed Leopard shortly after installing on my TiBook* so
I've never had any experience with Leopard and YDL on the same disk.

If I had to guess, I'd suggest that Leopard now expects all
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions to be UFS formatted and to have ``bzb
flags`` set (OS X pdisk; YDL doesn't set any ``bzb``s AFAICT).  So
when Leopard discovers that the partition is unintelligible (since
there's inexcusably *still* no ext2/ext3 support), it throws up the
``Erase-Eject-Ignore`` dialog.

(*) Two major reasons why: (1) X11 was tinkered with to the point
that I could not install (let alone run) Kile, Gimp, or ImageMagick.
(2) Leopard was so slow that a IIcx running A/UX on 16MB RAM is a
comparative speed demon.