[ydl-gen] yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 43, Issue 6

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sat Mar 22 20:39:13 MDT 2008

Hi Weldon:

The players within YDL 6 should work if you get the Codecs from Fluendo; in
other words purchase them.  The instructions on the page Kai provided the link
to, state as much.  The only installation necessary are the Windows codecs you
purchase from Fluendo.  I have no direct experience with how these codecs work
as I'm not interested in video.

I can state that the Totem plays CDs nicely and displays visual effects via
GOOM very well.

As far as installing gnash, just use yum.  Make sure that yum is pointing
either to a public mirror or to ydl.net

#yum install "gnash*"

Keep in mind that pirut (the Add/Remove app) utilizes yum so if yum is pointing
to the right mirror, pirut will reference that same location as well.  Gnash
functions on it's own within the Firefox browser; you don't have to start or
initiate it.  Gnash functions automatically fairly well, just don't
expect it to function as well as Flash which is designed for Windows or Macs.

You can check that yum is pointing to the right mirror by following these
directions available on this link:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/yum.shtml

All the best...