[ydl-gen] Darwin Streaming Server 5.5.5 on YDL 6

Chris chrisonthelists at cenolan.com
Fri May 9 03:47:04 MDT 2008

I'm having absolutely no joy getting DSS 5.5.5 to build on YDL 6 so I'm
hoping someone may be able to help. I am using
DarwinStreamingSrvr5.5.5-Source.tar.gz downloaded from apple opensource.

I've tried two different methods:

1) using gcc34 (v3.4.6) to build the standard source
2) using gcc (v4.1.1) to build but patching the source to make it compatible

Both methods fail spectacularly mainly with "collect2: ld returned 1
exit status" errors (possibly a linking problem?) - more on that below.
Before we begin, please note that I have edited the "Buildit" file to
fix a long-standing (its been there for years and several people have
made apple aware of it but they seem intent on not fixing it) typo in
line 39:

COMPILER_FLAGS= "-D__linuxppc__ -Wno-multichar -pipe"

should be this (removed that space between = and ")

COMPILER_FLAGS="-D__linuxppc__ -Wno-multichar -pipe"

Method 1 - Using gcc34 to build
To make it build using gcc34 I have changed the Buildit file lines 34-36
to use "gcc34" instead of "gcc". The full output of the failed build is
here: http://dpaste.com/hold/48999/

Method 2 - Using gcc to build
Here I have attempted a build using the standard gcc but with a patch
downloaded from http://streaming411.com/mw/images/7/7f/Fc4.patch which
is supposed to patch the source to make it compatible with gcc v4. The
full output of the failed build is here: http://dpaste.com/hold/49000/

Can anyone please shed some light onto why this thing won't build? Am I
simply missing a dependency or is it more complex than that? I've
struggled with this for 24 hours and hate to be beaten by something!

Best
Chris