[ydl-gen] gfortran under yellowdog

furio ercolessi furio at spin.it
Mon Sep 15 03:22:00 MDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 03:40:17PM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> Buon Journo, Furio !

Hello Derick,

Thanks for your clarifications about g95 and GPL.  I admit that I
had not dug into this subject, although I suspected a situation
of this type.  I do not and did not blame YDL for not including g95,
and in fact I suspect that no other distribution includes it.

Unfortunately, experience (mine to a limited extent, more importantly
of other colleagues of mine that develop and maintain large Fortran codes)
shows g95 to be less problematic than gfortran for serious projects
(not in the area of performance, but in the area of compiler bugs that
burn your time!)
This surely reflects the brilliance and capability of the single man
behind g95, but perhaps also the fact that development resources
allocated to gfortran are not as healthy as they should be, from
the point of view of professional Fortran users.

Of course there are commercial alternatives, for instance the Intel
compiler, for who can pay to achieve performance and quality.

furio