[ydl-gen] Linux yellow dog manual for dummies

Robert Spykerman robert.spykerman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 22:55:12 JST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net> wrote:

> I wasn't aware of IBM's announcement.  I guess we are the lucky ones
> who got these marvelous computers while they could be had.  Too bad
> others won't have the opportunity to explore and develop varied
> programming skills which these systems allow.

I went down to the local EB the other day hoping the fat ps3s (be they
second hand or old stock) would be significantly cheaper with the
express notion of purchasing another....  Alas... not :(

But hmm... there are a few interesting cheap-ish options. Been
thinking of looking into these Sheeva thingies... ie
http://www.plugcomputer.org/

No particular reason. Just because they exist and are not x86's -
Thank heavens they did not put atoms in them - I think one would make
a really nice home server with low energy costs,  but it won't be fast
for number crunching.

Cheap ARM netbooks are probably also on the way. Hmm... if these
succeed maybe we may see the evolution of small desktop ARM jobs...and
maybe followed by bigger badder multicore ARMS with a lot of grunt.
Hah, wishful thinking eh? Knowing ARM, probably not...but still they
could try.

IBM sure don't seem to be.

I'm bitterly disappointed at (what I perceive to be) the continued
decline of the powerpc architecture I have to say. But hey, I have a
ps3. It runs linux (for now). And I can mess with it and mess with it
I shall.

> Well, Warren, have a wonderful celebration of the holidays and a most
> splendid New Year!!  Likewise to all who are here!!!

Likewise, seasons greetings to all!
Cheers

Robert

--