[ydl-gen] Linux yellow dog manual for dummies

Rob Sanders rarob at travelinglightfarm.net
Sun Dec 27 01:09:43 JST 2009

I haven't done much with YDL in some time as I've changed jobs, but
I'd just like to chime in that several years ago that the PPC Linux's
( YDL for Mac, full RedHat/SuSE on some IBM OpenPower720 hardware)
was running rings around the equivalent x86 -or- Alpha based
platforms we were doing some work on.  Tried to get my bosses &
customers more interested in it and hit the wall of 'but it isn't
x86'.  <sigh>.  At the time, a direct comparison of the *same* base
code on a Mac XServe G5 running on YDL4 vice OS X 10.3 had the YDL
code twice as fast as the OS X code.  Lots of double precision
floating point math, and multiple processes (not threads)
communicating via shared memory.  We would routinely max out any box
we were running on.

-Rob