[ydl-gen] Installation Question -- addendum

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Thu Dec 31 15:14:26 JST 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:57:32 -0500
Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:27:17 -0800 (PST)
> Chris Blan <christopher_blan at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm trying to install yellow dog linux 6.1 but can't seem to log in
> > once the installation is finished. During the installation I am
> > never asked to setup a user name. Is there a standard user name
> > everyone logs in with the first time? Thanks in advance,
> > Chris ...

Just to be explicit, any one Linux computer owned by an individual has
one and only one root account.  If however there is a family or group
sharing the computer then there can be multiple user accounts each with
a user password, but still there is only one root.

Should at some time in the future a need arise that one or another user
needs access to some functions of root then at that time you as the
System Administrator (SA) -- read owner -- can decide which root
functions will be allowed to a specific user and which will not.

The whole concept of this is called Linux System Administration as the
concept is a about controlling the use of the computer's resources
(programs, and everything comprising it); in other words the SA decides
what users get to have and work with.

There are many books discussing Linux System Administration.  Pick one
up and learn what you need, reserve details you don't need for later.

Good Luck.

=========

Refranes/Popular sayings:
The Taino say:No hay mal que por bien no venga.
There is no evil out of which good cannot blossom.