[ydl-gen] overscan/full screen control

Alessandro Fausto fareale.ml at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 04:20:46 MST 2009

Hi,

To change the video mode enabling the full screen mode use the "-f"
parameter or  add 128 to the mode_id of the wanted resolution.
But the "-m" mode_id is mandatory. You can read back the mode_id of
current resolution typing "ps3-video-mode". Type "man ps3-video-mode"
to get more information on ps3-video-mode parameters.

Typing "ps3-video-mode -m $(ps3-video-mode) -f" the current_mode id is
read and used to set the same resolution but with full screen mode
enabled.

In your specific case the 720p NTSC have a mode_id of 3 so the 720p
NTSC Full screen mode_id is 3 + 128 = 131.
To test if this resolution is supported by your television (or
monitor) type "ps3-video-mode -m 3 -f" or "ps3-video-mode -m 131"

To permanently use the 720p Full Screen resolution edit your
"/etc/yaboot.conf" file and  specify your new mode_id (using the
numeric method).
On the line starting with "append=" change the "video=ps3fb:mode:3"
text into  "video=ps3fb:mode:131"
The next time you restart the Playstation 3 you got 720p with full
screen mode enabled.

Have a good weekend