[ydl-gen] apt-get probs

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jan 9 15:17:47 MST 2009

Hi Kevin:

This is just a matter of getting used to Linux/Unix principles.  Any
book on Linux/Unix System Administration would do you a world of good
as a reference.  Until then here are some essentials.

First read this link:

http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/man/visudo.html

Also you can from within YDl do man visudo as in:

$man visudo

Doing this will result in getting the same information you'll read in
the above link.  I've got to create an alternate ID recognized in my
sudoers file, as do you.  So I'll do it and just follow what I do.  Of
course, create your own name.  I'll use as a variable altid just so you
can follow the example.

Before you actually run vim you can run vimtutor instead and go through
the coursework learning how to use vim.  Do this:

$vimtutor

Hit the Enter key afterwards to execute the function and follow the
learning process.  Make sure you learn how to create, and save files
within vi/vim.

After the above learning has been completed then enter root or
administrator mode.  By the way, you did create an administrator
password different from your common user or altid password, yes? For
clarity there's a whole discussion which explains this in Unix/Linux
System Administration.  However the short version of doing this is here:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at arakus ~]# visudo

Pressing the Enter key after doing the above brings you here into the
actual file. Look for the line immediately under the line defining root
access, on that line enter the same definition for your altid.

## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
altid   ALL=(ALL)       ALL

After you have saved your changes in vi and exited you'll get something
like.

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at arakus ~]#

Reminder after the above is done when you do invoke sudo, as in:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ sudo yum install "gpg*"
Password:

The password you enter is not the system administrator or root password
but the altid password.

Clear?  Well, good luck anyway.  Read up on Linux/Unix System
Administration principles.