[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jan 12 11:15:55 MST 2009

Thanks, Derick. Yes, I am well aware of Ubuntu's lack of support of
PPC.  In my opinion, the Ubuntu community effort more than makes up
for this. In the process of installing the OS yesterday, I had a
number of problems and found (by several Google searches) an answer
for every problem in a matter of minutes. The various Ubuntu forums
for PPC seem to have several orders of magnitude more members than
the YDL forums. Also, the Debian repositories seem much more complete
than the default yum repositories. I wanted to install wmaker, and
did it quickly and immediately using apt-get in Ubuntu. When I tried
it using YUM (in YDL), I got no hits. Actually, this is what "fed me
up" and I was expecting no video acceleration when I installed Ubuntu
- I was delighted to be wrong in this when the OS  came up. As a PPC
partisan, I have always  hoped that YDL would have parity with Ubuntu
in these areas, but life is short...

cheers,
wn