[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jan 19 12:58:44 MST 2009

Thanks again, Stephen. If I ever reformat my hard disk and add a
linux partition, I will use your kernel.

I just installed OS X 10.5 on my 800 MHz iBook and was astounded at
how much zippier and smoother it is than Tiger.  Since Apple's cut-
off is 867 MHz, I needed to use the leopardassistant to fool the OF
into thinking I had a 867 MHz machine. In my more paranoid moments, I
thought that Apple would deliberately cripple later releases of its
OS to "encourage" people to buy new x86 machines but I was wrong.

This is the problem with linux, in my opinion. Despite being open
source, the hardware is decidedly closed, particularly the GPU, upon
which so much of the user experience depends.  Apple has full access
to the GPU and can use it to speed up video (using "core video") in
ways that no linux can (even x86 linux). Right now the bottom end
iBook is a delight to use and the contrast with my former experience
with linux on it couldn't be more stark. In my opinion, this will
never change with PPC hardware, which is a tiny niche of a small
niche. It would be nice if a PPC vendor like Fixstars could fix this,
but they would need serious cooperation from the GPU manufacturers
and that is likely not forthcoming (the PS3 linux disaster is a case
at point).

Cheers,

wn