[ydl-gen] ydl-6.1 kernel source - with a link

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Thu Jan 29 07:07:33 MST 2009

Yes, indeedy John, you got it.  Keep in mind that the sources are the
base release so that if you tweak or modify it to your needs you are
pretty much working on your own.  Also other things are involved if you
want to share whatever those changes are as stipulated in the GPL;
procedures which could be tedious to the uninitiated.

It may be easier and more consistent in keeping with how the official
releases and other changes by allowing yum to do updates and installs of
modifications, etc.

Although it is unlikely that any updates yum makes may conflict with any
changes to the kernel source you make - in Linux, as in most things
nothing is impossible.
Just be aware that if something weird is going on you'll have to
consider whatever modifications of the kernel you built as a potential
culprit.  It may not be, of course, but the complexity of Linux is such
that this can never be completely ruled out.  The advantage, and not a
small one in my mind, of YDL is that it is managed by a company with a
great track record of paying attention to these details and their
releases work.

However, when we, as individuals choose to change the source, we are
very much on our own.  To my mind this is the advantage of Linux in the
first place.  In past generations it was a source of pride and mastery
to successfully repair, modify and enhance one's own car.  Today, I
believe this experience/expression of individual skill has passed onto
exist within the realm of Linux.  In my view one can make this into an
Art, just as valued as the Arts of Music, Literature, etc.

Years ago, when I was interested in making changes to the YDL kernel,
and did so - I always kept this potential for something going wrong in
mind.  Maybe it remains an extreme view, but I find it useful to keep in
mind especially when changing kernel services or adding new ones.

I wish you the best success in your endeavors.

All the best...