[ydl-gen] trouble booting playstation 3 with Linux preinstalled: blank blue screen displayed

John Goche johngoche99 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 16 03:00:48 MDT 2009

Hello,

I am trying to connect my PlayStation 3 to my computer monitor so that
I can use boot into the Sony Game OS and from there into the
preinstalled Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 which I purchased from
http://us.fixstars.com/ . To that end I have purchased the following
box which should allow me to switch from my PC's output to the
PlayStation output both attached to the output device: a computer
monitor. The box specs are at:

http://www.climaxdigital.co.uk/epages/BT3449.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3449

However, this HDVGA2008 by Climax Digital lets me switch between the
PC view (which works just fine) and the PlayStation 3 view
(which does not work: it just displays a blank blue screen).
It seems to me that for this purpose a 3-cable component and
a composite cable are the same thing (I have looked at the
connectors and they seem the same).
I don't know why the PlayStation 3, when switched on,
and routed through the box, just displays a blue screen
instead of the XMB (CrossMediaBar)?

Thanks a lot for any help,
I am really puzzled,

Thanks,