[ydl-gen] truecrypt - anywhere?

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jul 28 19:03:33 MDT 2009

Hi Adam:

If you look carefully here:

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads/

Pop open the listing for "Linux distribution and hardware platforms" you'll
notice that the only releases available are for Intel and AMD based processors.
The Cell is part of the PowerPC family of processors and not included in their
list.  So the bottom line is that although Truecrypt announces itself as open
source it is not available currently, judging by the above listing, for the Cell
and related systems.  Truecrypt is one of a group of vendors which have chosen
to not develop for PowerPC systems.

If you refer to the discussion here:

http://www.pcurtis.com/pgp.htm/

You'll notice that Truecrypt is best utilized as a kind of portable disk
encryption system on USB drives.  In my opinion, if you're serious about
securing a portable device and/or the data stored within it then it is best to
get Iron Key (http://www.ironkey.com/).  You can also purchase it within
Amazon.com.

If a portable encrypted system doesn't really interest you then use yum to
install gnupg which has been available within all incarnations of YDL including
YDL 6.2.  If you download the manual for gnupg you'll discover that you can
encrypt files, emails, etc. Rather than repeat the capabilities of gnupg I'll
share below what yum sees within the libraries available for YDL 6.2:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ sudo yum info "*gnupg*"
Password:
Installed Packages
Name   : gnupg
Arch   : ppc
Version: 1.4.5
Release: 13.ydl.1
Size   : 4.9 M
Repo   : installed

GnuPG (GNU Privacy Guard) is a GNU utility for encrypting data and
creating digital signatures. GnuPG has advanced key management
capabilities and is compliant with the proposed OpenPGP Internet
standard described in RFC2440. Since GnuPG doesn't use any patented
algorithm, it is not compatible with any version of PGP2 (PGP2.x uses
only IDEA for symmetric-key encryption, which is patented worldwide).

Available Packages
Name   : perl-GnuPG-Interface
Arch   : noarch
Version: 0.33
Release: 10.el5
Size   : 79 k
Repo   : extras
Perl interface to GnuPG.

Name   : perl-Mail-GnuPG
Arch   : noarch
Version: 0.08
Release: 5.el5
Size   : 15 k
Repo   : extras
Use GnuPG::Interface to process or create PGP signed or encrypted email.

Name   : python-GnuPGInterface
Arch   : noarch
Version: 0.3.2
Release: 2.el5
Size   : 25 k
Repo   : extras
GnuPGInterface is a Python module to interface with GnuPG. It
concentrates on interacting with GnuPG via filehandles, providing
access to control GnuPG via versatile and extensible means.

[aguila at arakus ~]$

All the best...