[ydl-gen] Nvidia Tegra Net/Smartbook and YDL?

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Jun 8 18:32:01 MDT 2009

Hi All

At the 2009 Computex Trade Show Nvidia demonstrated Tegra based
netbooks or smartbooks which will soon be made available as laptops and
tablets.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Nvidia_Shows_12_Tegra_Netbooks_Tablets/551-102889-893.html/

There exists also an article in the NY Times which announces that this
system will be released around Christmas between $50 - $100.  Here it
is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/technology/business-computing/08compute.html?hpw/

PC Mag had an article on these chips back in Feb which is here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341032,00.asp/

It took some time to learn about what the processors used actually
are.  Turns out that they are ARM RISC chips; I'm imagining that they
are close enough to the PowerPC family so that YDL could run on it.
I could be very wrong of course, as I'm referring to web based reports
which can be rather dated and plus plain wrong.

Although I did find a different link discussing Linux support for ARM,
of course I remain focused upon YDL.  What is very interesting about
this chip design is that apparently it is multicore as well; so the
potential for low power and yet high level processing which is portable
(and rather cheap) is very enticing - to me anyway.  So does anyone,
have a clue whether YDL will run on that beast?

An interesting definition of Open Source:

“Man should not consider his material possession his own, but as common
to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need”
-- Thomas Aquinas 12th Century.