[ydl-gen] X configuration voodoo in YDL 3.0

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Wed Jun 24 00:20:45 MDT 2009

After someone mailed me YDL 3&4 (thanks) I installed 3 on a PB3400.
After working through some boot troubles I got it working okay.  But the
laptop only has 48Mb of RAM and top shows nearly all of it in use along
with a good chunk of VM.

So I installed it on a PB G3 (non-series).  It puked at the end due when
it tried to set up yaboot as expected.  I booted into the new install
and it went well until it tried to initialize X.  It said it wasn't
working, offered to show me the log, asked if I wanted it to try to
configure it, it tried and failed.

Well after a lot of thrashing I tracked it down in the log.  The 3400
has a Chips and Technologies ct65550 while the G3 has a ct65554.  The
chips driver was reporting that information.  For the 3400 it reported
1024K of VRAM but for the G3 it only shows 512K.  Both actually have
1024K.  I don't know why it mis-reports it.  Because of this when it
checks various video modes (dozens) it can't find one that will work.
800x600 at 16 bbp which is what it was set up for is 900+K so the driver
doesn't find any viable configuration.  I changed the video mode to 8
bbp and that works.  It looks bad but it works.

I tried looking on line and couldn't find anything useful.

So I'm asking if anyone knows of a fix for this?  My gut feel is there
probably isn't.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA