[ydl-gen] Unsubscribe me please

renagadedrow at aol.com renagadedrow at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 18:43:25 MST 2009

 thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Don <DonLinux1 at sbcglobal.net>
To: YDL <yellowdog-general at lists.fixstars.com>
Sent: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:22 pm
Subject: [ydl-gen] YDL on a G4 Mac

Hi guys;

Long ago I installed YDL 3.?? on an old imac.  Right now, i'd
like to install a newer distro onto a G4 (667 mhz) mac.

Before investing a ton of time to download new disks, I'd like
to prove out that an install would actually work on the machine.
THEN it will be worth it to do the download of whichever version
is good for the machine.

Here's the rub.  I (also long ago) successfully installed both YDL
and Kubuntu onto an imac with disks that will NOT work right
in my recent attempts on the G4.  One set is the permanent burned
YDL 3 disks that worked on the iMac.

The machine (my 'newer' G4 tower) has 3 smaller hard drives
(20G, 30g, and 40G respectively).

The 40G has been partitioned in half leaving me with 4 possible
volumes to install an OS on. One partition (of the 40G) now has
X.4 on it. while the other is going to be for one of the two Linux
distros I want to run.  The 30G is for the second Mac partition.

That leaves a 20G partition for YDL and 20G HD for YDL.

I tried to boot on those old YDL 3 disks that worked happily on an
iMac a few years ago... and they would not start.  The initial screen
would show the text up to the first prompt.  Then I typed in the
'install' text and went on... but then it goes into a frozen state of
uselessness for several minutes till finally I force restart.

When I inserted a (Kubuntu) CD to install, the CD hung at the same
point and showed some numbers on screen as if it either couldn't
find something or was a bad burn.  After trying a couple different
recordables, I tried having my son put the CD in his G4 (about 800?
mhz) machine and it did a good live startup.

So, question is, why will the CD's not start?

Slot 1
GeForce2MX

Slot 2
The PCI card is an ATY, GT-C XClaimVRPro

The monitor is a 17" apple studio display monitor:

Do I have a monitor or video card problem because of some compatibility
issue, or is it something else?

Thanks
Don

HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'