[ydl-gen] IBM XLC/C++ and XLF for YDL on Cell

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Mar 6 19:22:20 MST 2009

Hi Warren:

I hope that you are well.  I just want to highlight something.  It was
Apple which walked away from IBM's consortium regarding PowerPC
development which led up to the Cell, not the other way around.  Apple
may yet crumble due to the fact it continues to be the least secure
commercially available operating system in the market place - a fact
consistently established for past several years, but that is a different
problem for them and for anyone who doesn't care for their data while
using OS X.

Regarding the topic in this thread I found that the User License for IBM
XLC is $1,500: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/xlcpp/multicore/

Academia is not within my experience other than providing computing/IT
server/database support within the college and large scale university
environment.  It is my guess that you could attempt to qualify for or
otherwise attain, a Grant which could allow you to get this compiler or
other products as you needed or wished to explore as an independent
researcher.  I imagine if you went this route, you could put together a
rather nice system comprising of the PowerStation, and a GigaAccel 180
and do an amazing piece of research work.

Hmmm you may have to come "out" of retirement though, I guess.  You'll
see your own best path of course.

All the best...